Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Bridge and Beyond Interview Day!



Grab a coffee, double mocha or tea and gather 'round the knitting couch.  Today, we welcome Sandy Holladay.  I first met Sandy on CreatingTheHive.com, the new wildly popular crafting community.  Sandy's dedication to helping others is clear from the moment you meet her.  Sandy is actively helping the homeless in the Central Ohio area with her Bridge and Beyond program.  Please raise your needles and wave your hooks for this lovely lady.
Q. Welcome Sandy. How did you first get involved with helping the homeless in Central Ohio?



A. I had been knitting and crocheting for lots of different charities and mailing items off around the country; but at years end when I when totaled postage costs for my husband for tax purposes I decided I needed to find ways to help people a bit closer to home to minimize some of the cost. I still mail items but am not spending hundreds on postage, as I previous was. My SIL knew a lady through her church who’d been feeding the homeless. We got our heads together and decided these folks would benefit from warm hats and scarves and mittens. I made a blog, told some of my fellow blogging friends who knit and crochet about my quest and asked for their help. Within a matter of days I hand helping hands for the project. I made my first blog post on Dec 2, 2008 and by Dec 4th had offers of help.



Q. What types of items and yarns do you prefer for the Bridge and Beyond project?

A. Hats, Scarves, and mittens are the primary objects needed, although we also accept vests, sweaters, and neck gators which are warm items for people in need. We began by focusing on men, as they were the ones living under a bridge. The need has grown, there are multiple groups living under bridges and similar areas. Additionally, we now supply hats, scarves, and mittens for mothers and their children being treated in 2 free clinics in the same area. Though they have a roof over their heads, they are often without heat and still very much in need. In the past 2 weeks we’ve learned about a need for mothers and children who are or were homeless and or abused living in temporary housing. We’re asking for the same items for them; hats, scarves, and mittens. We always are in need of socks for those living in the elements; but ask those be store bought rather than hand made. All yarns accepted, knitted worsted is probably the most used, but wool is fine; we just asked that it be labeled. Washable wool is preferred.


Q. Sandy, what are some of you favorite pattern(s) that you could suggest to us to make for your organization?


A. Lol, I’m one who creates from the seat of her pants, so often don’t use patterns. Or if I do, I don’t follow them exactly. I do have several mitten patterns posted on the Bridge and Beyond Blog as mittens are harder to come by. Any pattern you like to make to make is fine. I ask that you stay away from frilly lacey patterns as they don’t hold up in the elements, and aren’t warm. Unisex colors are a good idea; but I do label and separate items for the sexes.



Q. What would you like us to know about Bridge and Beyond and what it’s meant to your life?


A. It’s given me direction. I typically have a list of things I’d like to make, but I tend to prioritize based on things needed for The Bridge. It’s given me a very positive view of people and how kind and good they really are. People make things for people they don’t know, people who can’t send them a thank you; but they do it anyway. It’s given me proof people are good, and far better given the chance then what we see on the 11 o’clock news. It’s given me a chance to gain a wonderful set of caring friends that I truly value.

Thank you for taking time to do this interview.

Your so welcome, Sandy.  We have all been inspired by you.

Please visit Sandy's blog to learn about the wonderful Bridge and Beyond Project and how you can help make a difference.  Add the Bridge and Beyond badge to your website and follow her along on Twitter.
 

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

sandy said...

Such a sweet post, thank you very much for the kind words and for helping us spread the word. Truly it is appreciated.

This was exciting, I've never been interviewed before.

Sandy

Knit 1 for the Road said...

Your welcome, Sandy. It was a pleasure to interview you :) Marg

Disclosure

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels