Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A visit with theagansdragon...





Items created by Stacy and Stephanie of
 theagansdragon on Etsy.com


Today, I'd like to welcome Stacy of theagansdragon on Etsy.  They shop has been featured in the Spring Issue of knitsimple, Stacy and her twin Stephanie combine their love for crafting with their passion for giving back to their community.  Sit back, relax and sip on your herbal tea and enjoy your inspiration for today.
Q. Welcome! I was thrilled to discover that you are twin sister crafters. Please share with everyone how you juggle crafting, business, and family.

A. During the week I work and attend classes at the University of Utah where I am studying Social Work. I use my crafting as an outlet for stress. My weekends consist of crafting, homework and spending time with my family. It sounds silly but I have specific days I do things. Friday is for spending time with my husband, Saturday is for crafting, Sunday for Homework and dinner with the family.


This semester has been particularly rough because we lost our brother to cancer last month. I have appreciated having my crafting outlet more than ever. When I’m having a particularly rough day I come home and bead or crochet. It’s very calming and I’m sure other crafters can attest to this.


Q. What types of material inspire you the most?


A. I am currently working with glass tiles. I love how I can transfer almost any image of my choosing onto my pendants. For a while we experimented with Plexiglas but decided glass gives a better effect. I’ve been doing a lot of beading over the last year and enjoy this as well.


Q. Your Etsy shop, theagansdragon, was recently mentioned in the Spring 2010 issue of knitsimple magazine. How excited were you to see your “Knit Don’t Quit” pendant in the knits+that section?


A. I was absolutely thrilled when the publisher contacted me. There are so many amazing crafters on Etsy. It’s hard to get recognized among the crowd. I chose the pattern for the “knit don’t quit” necklace because a lot of my friends have started knitting. Many people are hurting financially right now because of the current state of the economy. Therefore more and more people are learning to make gifts instead of purchasing them. This is great because handmade gifts are more personal and come from the heart. I received a pair of knitted hand warmers this Christmas and I wear them all the time! It’s still snowing here on a regular basis. Ugh!


Q. Stacy, do you and Stephanie have any dreams or aspirations you would like to share with the readers regarding your creative pursuits?


A. My sister Stephanie and I are working on making matching t-shirts and matching bags with the “knit don’t quit” quote. Stephanie thought to use this phrase and I think it’s really cute. We are also planning to sell t-shirts featuring phrases to support the fight against Melanoma. We already have a few silly phrases picked out. We hope to make enough money to be able to donate a nice sum to the Huntsman Cancer Institute. They took great care of our brother and we can never thank them enough.


Q. Stacy, do you have any tips that you would like to share with fellow Etsy shop owners who may be new or struggling.


A. Etsy has thousands of crafters so it can be difficult. I suggest spending the extra money to feature your shop around holidays. Also, it’s important to do your homework. Find out what is selling. This may help spark some ideas of your own. I suggest participating in local craft shows as well. The more you get your name out there the better!


That is such wonderful advice, Stacy. It’s so inspiring to see how you and Stephanie have combined your passion for giving back to your community with your crafting.  Thank you for sharing with us how crafting has provided a calm place for you to go. That is a valuable lesson for all of us.


Personal note:  I purchased two pendants, recently from theagansdragon, and I can tell you that they are not only adorable, but well crafted.



Visit theagansdragon on Etsy.com.


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Disclosure

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels