Tuesday, September 15, 2009

FarAwayDesigns is Delightful!

Flight Bookmark





Just a Note Card










All Things Card
Today, I'm happy to welcome Anca of FarAwayDesigns on Etsy. Gather 'round with your coffe or tea and enjoy the interview, whimsical designs, excellent needlework and crafty cards.
Q. Welcome Anca, and thank you for taking time for this interview. When did you first become interested in working with paper and needlework?

A. Margaret, I want to Thank You for offering me this excellent opportunity to be interviewed by a well known crafter! I have been doing needlework ever since I can remember. I owe my interest to my late grandmother, who taught me how to cross-stitch, needlepoint and knit. One thing she loved but could not teach me was crochet and macram̩ РI just could never remember patterns.
Paper crafted cards are a much newer interest, more an addiction, really. It started with purchasing – by mistake – a book on card making, and I was hooked. I am still learning on how to create cards, though I am far from being as creative as many other card makers.

Q. You're a natural! There is so much variety in your cards, bookmarks and banners. Where to you find inspiration for your designs?

A. Most of the cross-stitch cards are patterns I have accumulated through the years. Sometimes, I get adventurous and change thread colors – just to see what results I get. Recently, I had a few custom orders, where my client needed me to create a card around a certain quote she provided. It was a bit of a challenge, being that it was a first for me. My client was quite pleased, so I knew I could try my hand at designing my own patterns.
With the paper crafted cards, my inspiration starts by looking at one of my books or magazines. However, I tend to veer off the directions and, when finished, the card I have made is nothing like the original point of inspiration.

Q. Yes, I think many of us have to make that leap from the original idea to create something wonderful. We would all like to know how you balance your busy shop with your everyday life. Do you have any tips for other Etsy shop owners or anyone thinking of starting a shop?

A. In October 2008, I decided to return to school and get a Bachelor’s degree in Web Design and Multimedia. One of the first things I had to learn during the first term was Time Management.
Then, 6 months later I discovered Etsy.com and opened my store. I still have trouble sometimes managing my time to get everything accomplished and organized, but I am getting better at it.
I cannot really say that I can offer tips or advice – I am a brand new shop owner myself. A few things that I have learned, though:

· Involve yourself in the Forum – you will find lots of experienced Etsyans ready and willing to help you succeed.

· As much as possible, participate in the workshops. I have learned quite a bit when I started going.

· Make sure you advertise your shop: business cards, flyers, links on your website and your blog, Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, Project Wonderful. There are lots of free or inexpensive avenues to let people know what your shop is about and what you can offer them.

Q. Those are all wonderful suggestions, Anca, thank you, Do you have any upcoming events, new items, hopes for your business, or any other info that you would like to share with us?

A. I try to keep my shop’s appearance fresh and not repeat creating the same items. I am actively working on developing hand painted watercolor cards. I have seen numerous cards that are mainly printed reproductions of an original, and I want to offer my customers unique pieces that will make them happy! I tend to be a perfectionist in what I do, after all my customers deserve no less than the absolute best I can offer them.

Margaret, thank you so much for taking an interest in my work and my shop; it was very stimulating to be asked for an interview and it was a pleasure to chat with you!
You're so welcome - I look forward to seeing your new projects.

No comments:

Disclosure

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels