Monday, December 8, 2008

INTERVIEW FOR YOU!

Gather 'round the knitting couch - I'd like to start the week off with an interview with Marilyn King of Abbeyyarns.com. I met Marilyn at the Knitters Connection event in Ohio and recently at StitchesEast in Maryland. I was taken in by the beautiful yarns, awesome color cards and display booth as well as Marilyn's keen ability to make her customers feel welcome. I felt like a bit of Ireland had come to me.
I encourage you to visit the website and take in the yarnie goodness for yourself. You will definitely make Marilyn your first stop when she comes to an event near you.


Now click those knitting needles together for a warm knitfabulous welcome for our guest, Marilyn King!

Q. Marilyn, how and when did you start the shop?

A. I don’t actually have a shop. I have a home-based business and focus on internet sales and participation in selected knitting events. I started the business 10 years ago.

Q. Where are you located when you’re not traveling?

A. I live in Aurora, Colorado, a suburb in Denver.

Q. Why did you start your business?

A. I started the business after traveling to Ireland where I found a mill that produced the yarn I sell. I thought it provided a business opportunity so I wrote a marketing plan, presented it to the mill owner who liked the idea.

Q. How many events do you attend a year?

A. Last year I attended 7 events around the country.

Q. Wow! Do you have any tips on handling the stress of traveling?

A. Take your knitting!

Q. Any tips for those who would like to begin their own business?

A. Have a good business plan, stick to it, and have enough operating capital to weather the ups and downs. Remember that you need to be customer focused and that you won’t be able to knit nearly as much as you want to.

Q. What is your favorite yarn?

A. The yarn I sell!
Since I don’t have a shop, but only sell two types of yarn, I’d have to say those are my two favorites.

Q. Who’s your favorite designer?

A. Kathy Zimmerman would have to be high on the list

Q. Do you create your own designs?

A. Yes

Q. How do you pick the items you sell?

A. I have chosen to stay very focused- just selling yarn from Ireland, so other items I sell relate directly to that yarn. So I sell buttons that compliment the yarn and only patterns that are appropriate for the yarn.

Q. What’s your favorite food to eat when traveling?

A. Plain M & M s

Q. How do you stay motivated?

A. Good question. After 10 years I still love what I do. I think there is always that desire to do better and so far that seems to motivate me. Feedback from customers definitely helps!

Q. What’s the most important aspect of your business that brings you joy?

A. The wonderful support I get from customers- both in terms of repeat business and helpful feedback.

Q. Where would you like to be in 10 years?

A. Knitting more and maybe traveling a little less.

Q. Is there anything else you would like to mention to the readers? Upcoming events, sales, etc.

A. I have finally started a newsletter and would love to encourage anyone interested in receiving it to sign up at my website (http://www.abbeyyarns.com/)

Thank you so much, Marilyn, for taking time out for this interview. Your tips, experience and enthusiasm are definitely encouraging to all of us who are striving to knit, work, and balance our lives, as well as control our intake of those yummie plain m & m's.

I hope you have enjoyed today's interview. There will be more in the future so stay tuned!

Knit-Share-Go!

Marg

No comments:

Disclosure

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels